Thursday, October 06, 2005

Getaways and Prejudice

Only 16 hours until I get to leave!!! Yee haw! I am so stinking excited. I love Beth Moore and shopping and a hotel??? Heck yeah!

So here's something that happened to my girlfriend and I need some feedback from you other moms. She is walking into the school the other day to drop off her son at Pre-K. She has a total of three kids ages 4, 2, and 7 months. As she's walking by a group of teachers she hears them say, "I can't believe she has three kids! I would never do that these days. And man, all three boys! (sidenote: the baby is girl and was dressed all in pink!!!)" So she feels absolutely mortified and then angry. This has happened to me once or twice where people will randomly say (another sidenote, when these people make these comments do they just think that they're talking softly????) "Good grief, do you think those are ALL her children??" Or my favorite, "Wow, you have your hands full." So here's my rant, brace yourselves.....IT'S MY LIFE! I'm the one who has to take care of them, feed them, dress them, punish them, put them to bed, and make sure they look like orphans everytime we leave the house. So what difference does it make to you how many children I have??????? This totally makes me want to have 5 more. Why does society think that if you have more than 2.5 children there's something wrong with you?!?!?!?!?!?!?

*deep breath* Ok, I'm calming down. I'd like to hear what y'all have to say about this. And if you think that 2.5 children is the acceptable number of children that's ok. Just like to hear some honest opinions.

5 comments:

eyes_only4him said...

oh boy, I am not touching this one..LOL

I have 3..and I dont think I could emtionally handle more than that. But if one has the finances and abiltlty to care for more kids, than its thier choice I suppose.

I dont think I could afford more kids. Although I sometimes think that adotping one would be nice. But there again that takes money..LOL

But I dont think its any body,s buissness how many kids you have..If you can afford to clothe them and feed them, go girl!!

I mysekf dont think I could give proper attention and indivdaul attention to more than what I have..I barely have enough to go round right now:)

Misty said...

i think it is pretty stupid for anyone else to care. i guess if you had 4 kids and lived completely off of welfare, remained continually pregnant and neglected the children you have, then (and only then) would the tax payers have SOMEWHAT of a right to be concerned....
in this case, for you and your friend, it's none of anyone elses business...

Felecia said...

Why should it be anybody's business but the mom and dad? I am at a point in life where I am telling people (as politely as possible) what I think of their unnecessary remarks.

Most of my in-laws have agreed upon the 2 kids concept, which is fine for them, but boy do they tweak out when I say we're not quite done. They grow very quiet and act as if we're throwing a wrench into the family's holiday exchange or something. Dang Norwegians...

eyes_only4him said...

felcia,
u just made me laugh:)

kelli said...

It really isn't anyone elses business.

There was a time when using birth control and such was the worst thing in the world. That if you didn't have lots of kids something was wrong with you. And frankly, seems to me, times were better then. People were relying on God to tell them when enough was enough. Today, people feel that they need to only have one or two kids and then pass judgement on those that decide to have more.

If people are rude enough to make a comment in the first place, I think it is perfectly acceptable to give a curt response. Actually, my response would be..."Oh, you think this is a lot? I have four more at home and twins on the way". That will really give them something to talk about!