Thursday, September 08, 2005

Waiting for WIC

Ok, so we get WIC. Do you all know what that is? It has been a HUGE blessing to my family. However, there are a few kinks in the system.

At our last appointment, we were scheduled an appointment time of 4:30 PM. So we arrived and the palce was packed. Thank the Lord that Matt was with me. We didn't leave the office until 7:30 PM. Do the math. That is a heck of a long time to be in an office. I figured out the secret. They give you a time to come in, but they don't go by that. When you arrive, you get a number. So even if you have an appointment, if there are 50 people in front of you, too bad for you.

So today was another big appointment time. By that I mean that they have to weigh and measure the girls, prick their little fingers and do enough paperwork to sink the already sunk Titanic. Thank goodness we only have to do these big appointments every 6 months! Anyway, I was scheduled for 12:30. I got there at 10. Unfourtantely, they had a training seminar and were closed from 10-12. So I came back, at 11:55. I was the first one in the door. "Whew," I thought. "This is going to be fast." I got home at 1:35. Another almost two hour trip. Sydney had a meltdown near the end, she spent the last 20 minutes screaming hysterically while I am trying to listen to the lady explain the girls' growth patterns and how I need to feed them better. Ugh, ugh and double ugh.

Again, WIC is such a blessing to us. But, man, there's got to be an easier way!!!

4 comments:

eyes_only4him said...

my gosh they told you that you need to feed them better..that is nuts..

I think i know what wic is..I think my sister may get it..and it is a blessing if you need it, but sometimes it seems i have heard stories where they treat you not so good..is that true??

sorry you had to wait so long..kids hate wating and so do the parents;)

Misty said...

i did wic with several of my pregnancies and although it was in an entirely different state it was much the same as you describe. my sister has it now and they always tell her to feed her kids better. it's funny because i would have to tell you what she feeds her son (10 months) it's pretty sad... so i see WHY they tell her these things but i wonder if they simply just say it to people because they assume they are dealing with neglegent parents... (she isn't neglegent but she really doesn't feed them great....) anyway.... my point is that wait has to be really hard, escpecially when you have to have your kids with you.

kelli said...

I have had to go into the family independence agency a few times for various reasons and I always feel bad for people in there. Not because they need the assistance, but because I do think that often-times they are treated in a way which is unfair. I do believe assumptions are made that if you are needing the help, you must not know how to take care of your family.

I think WIC is a wonderful program for women and children. Think of all the people whose childre would really be malnurished without it.

Felecia said...

There is nothing worse than hearing somebody in
a medical "authority" tell you your child should be fed more, is underweight, etc. I heard this very thing at Noah's one year appointment and immediately drove to McDonald's for a milkshake and fries! (I let him have some too...) ha ha ha

Sounds to me like you're doing a wonderful job raising those kids! Keep it up!