Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Breakthrough

This morning it happened. A break through. I've been praying and praying for this day. And it finally arrived.

As we were headed out the door this morning for school, I grabbed Jonah's spelling list to work with him on the way to school. Last week, he failed it. He still just isn't getting it. So this past week we have been spending time every night on his letters and his spelling words. Back to this morning, I decided to ask him how to spell my. He looked at me and said, "m...y". My heart leapt.
"Ok," I said, trying to keep calm. "How do you spell can?" Again the brief pause..."C.....a.....n". Now I was ecstatic. He spelled all 5 words correctly. Then I started to worry. Just because he can spell them orally doesn't mean he knows what letters to write down. So I asked him to use his finger to write the letters as he spelled them. HE DID IT ALL RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you Lord for this awesome thing that you did. Maybe he will learn to read at some point!!!!

3 comments:

eyes_only4him said...

oh wonderful..sometimes the smallest break thru,s are the best kind..

so he is having a spelling test before he learns to read???..OMG...seems a little backwards..LOL

my oldest is in 3rd grade and this is his first year of real spelling tests..let me just say..he takes after me...and we must work on that:)

Amy M. said...

Yeah for Jonah!! I know how it feels...every small step means so much and feels like you just conquered the world!!!

Mindy said...

Hooray for Jonah! How'd he do at school?