Friday, September 23, 2005

Roses will bloom again

We survived the funeral. I wasn't sure I could even go with Emma and Sydney (3 and 1 respectively), but we sat in the balcony and they did great. They didn't even start getting fussy until 1 1/2 hours into the service. It was a 2 1/2 hour serivce. It was beautiful. The flowers were respelndent.

This morning as Emma was taking a shower and getting ready, I remembered something. This lady had always told me that she wanted Emma's curls. So I pulled out my scissors and cut Emma's hair. I had been planning on it anyway. I took the fallen curls and put them in a little bag. As we entered the church, I sought out her husband. "These are for her, " I said with tears welling up. He looked at me and replied, "She always wanted them." He hugged me and went up to the coffin and tucked them into her hands. It was perfect.

I quick ran home and got Molli off the bus and we headed back to the church. Then we went to the cemetery. Thus began the questions, "Mom, where is Mrs. Del? "Why is she in that box?" "THEY'RE GOING TO PUT HER IN THE GROUND?!?!?!?" Why, Mom?" "Why did she die?" So MAtt and I spent the good part of the graveside service answering Molli's questions. Of course nothing seemed right in her four year old mind.

It was a beautiful day and I know she was smiling and singing.

1 comment:

eyes_only4him said...

its sure is a hrad thing to explain to kids why they are put in a box and put in the ground...I thankfully have not had to deal with that yet...