Tuesday, July 19, 2005

oh man

Well yet again, I have written something that has everyone debating! I seem to have a knack for getting this ball rolling :)

This is where I stand. We like Harry Potter. Simple as that. I appreciate the fact that some believers don't read it....that's fine! My problem lies where those same people tell me that I'm sinning and evil because I read it. Um, you don't get to make those decisions for me. When I get to heaven, it is I who will be responsible for standing before the Lord and being held accountable for what I've done. so what I chose to read/watch/ listen to is my decision. Like I said, if you don't like Harry Potter, fine with me. But do not tell me what you think about me doing it. Not that I think ANYONE reading this blog has done this. This has just been our past experience with Harry Potter.

Meanwhile I will just watch the debate....he he.

3 comments:

Felecia said...

(Shook up a hidden beehive there, did’ja?)

Elliott will be 7 this fall; he is a new reader and loved the first HP movie he was exposed to at his cousin's last year. (We had been keeping it from him more for the possible gore factor than the witchcraft vs. Christianity hype.)

After viewing it ourselves, we found that it wasn't over-the-top violent and we liked the characters and storyline.

I have felt stuck in the middle of the HP debate and its impact to believers. Less because I feel convicted by God and more because I feel a little judged (there's that word again) by my mother.

Good ole Gramma had driven it into Elliott's head that HP is bad. For obvious reasons, I was upset with her fine-tuned ability to step on my toes. (Elliott's guilt has him hiding The Prisoner of Azkaban before any visit...) Beyond that, I was annoyed with her opinion when she herself has never viewed a movie or read a book to support it.

I guess HP's not an issue within our Christian household because we choose to see the fancy in the novel rather than seek out wicked innuendos.

Misty said...

mandi~
you nailed it on the head..... with every topic in life you will encounter people who will judge you. as a christian you place yourself in the spotlight for both believers and nonbelievers to place you and your choices under a microscope and very often, pass judgement....
i believe that if you are walking with God and being fed spiritually and you saw or red something, the Holy Spirit would convict you of its inappropriatness. (sometimes we simply choose not to listen)
i agree whole heartedly with what you said in your post and in the end it is where you stand and what you know in your heart that matters.....

Mandi said...

Thanks guys for all the comments.....:0