Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Matt and I saw the most amazing sunset last night. It wasn't quite as glorious as the one in the picture, but still.

I had quite the awakening yesterday. I was reading blogs and noticed that Angie had some links on the bottom of hers. So I clicked on one, curiosity got the best of me.

At first I was shocked that Angie would have such a link. This man is clearly NOT a believer, or rather, he was, but is now an atheist. After telling myself to get over my prudishness, I kept reading. I was intrigued. This man went to several seminaries and was ready to go into the pastorate. Several things drove him and his wife away from the church and God. Reading his arguments with the Christian faith, his beliefs on gay Christians (he's all for them), and his beliefs on atheism.....wow. I read some of the stuff to Matt and he pulled up a chair and read it with me. It was nothing if not thought provoking. This is just one example of a person who refutes the teachings we hold as dear. Would I be able to argue with him??? Would I be able to convince him that the bible is the ultimate truth?? That he will go to hell??? Probably not. Which really made me stop and evaluate where I am. Jesus gave us the Great commission. Does that mean I only share my faith with people who come into my church??? This man is very intellectual, but if God wanted me to, could I share with him as well? Serious stuff to think about.

Sorry about the partial sentences, just typing my thoughts!

5 comments:

kelli said...

I went to the blog, he really is an interesting guy isn't he?

I blogged to him with a couple of questions. He intrigues me.

Mandi said...

Me toooo, not sure what about him intruiges me.....

kelli said...

I was re-reading your post, Mandi and here is my thought. What I know is that the key element to being a Christian is Faith. Without Faith it is impossible to please God...anyone who comes to Him has got to believe that He exists and He rewards those who earnestly seek him (I am paraphrasing). When a Christian is in debate with someone who wants to intellectualize God, the Christian will most likely lose. Because the intellectual cannot muster faith and let's be honest, there is no physical proof that God exists, at least not one that is acceptable to someone like this.

My point is, don't beat yourself up too hard about whether or not you can share your faith with someone like this man (I don't mean that in a derrogative way, I respect his opinions). He says many have tried. If the Lord chooses his conversion, it will only be by His hand, not ours.

Misty said...

i like what kelli had to say a lot...... so i won't add to it....
but my goodness, where ever did you find that photo? amazing!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Joey from food service. remember him? he graduated from cornerstone and almost finished seminary and decided that he doesn't believe. he made all the freshman food service workers cry with his arguements, which was sad, but in some way probably good for them.