Monday, July 18, 2005

Me and the Half Blood Prince

Ok so I don't know how any of you feel about Harry Potter. I am unashamed to say that I love Harry Potter. I've read all the books, seen all the movies, etc. So of course there was huge excitement with a new book and a new movie this year.

No, we did not stay up till midnight to get the new book. We're too old :) Instead we walked into Wal-Mart the next morning and got it. Matt is re-reading book 5 so I had it all to myself. I fell asleep reading it on Saturday night and finished it yesterday. I do not usually cry at books, but I sure cried at this one. Now I have to wait another two years for the next one. AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The only downfall. On the upside, there is a cool new movie coming out in November.

I can't say what it is about the books that I like so much. I don't think that they're outstanding fiction, but they sure are fun to read. So I'm not arguing that everyone should read them becasue of the fantastic way they are written. I'm not even arguing that everyone should read them. I just love them. And it does fascinate me that one person could make up a whole world.....amazing.

So three cheers for the new Harry Potter book!

4 comments:

Misty said...

i love the harry potter books, mandi.... i think they are a part of an incredible story. i love the movies too, BUT once we got Genny we decided to wait on reading/watching more untils he is age appropriate for them.... :)

Mandi said...

Yeah, I totally agree.....it's way above my kids heads....

Mandi said...

Point taken, Wes. WE have engaged in several battles with believers over Harry Potter. We're for it and we have encountered many Christians who are very anti-Potter. They're perogative, I love em!

Misty said...

i am all for (with discretion) anything which can be metaphorical for the world we live in, the choices we should make, etc... as with the Harry Potter series, The Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, the Matrix or any of these saga's, i think there are analogies up the wazoo to be derived from them.... BUT i also think that, as with anything, they can be misconstrued and the content of these things be offensive. where as a movie with a ton of profanity or sexual content may not be offensive to me, it is offensive to some. i think there are Christians as well as non-Christians who don't like these books because perhaps they are sensitive to the occult issues and fearful of the impact the story's magic could have. just because i am not one of those people and feel it is not something which would cause me to "stumble", i have to trust that those who find offense know their limits/convictions and where they stand.
we each have to rest in the fact that what is right for one may not be right for the other. Thank God for individuality and the freedoms we do have...... (but i agree with wes, there are a lot of christians who choose to hate harry potter and the sad part is that they don't really look into the story and what it entails, they just make a "book by its cover" judgement.....) and ang, i know that is NOT you.... i am saying that quite often that is the case...