Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Mr. Whiskers

I vowed this day would NEVER come. Now, don't get me wrong, I have nothing against them, but I swore that I would NEVER let one in my house. Well, he's here.....

Our good friend Darren who lives across the street had a pet rat. Or rather his son did. Anyway, he was going on vacation and needed someone to "rat sit". I can't believe it, but I volunteered. So we "rat sat". And the unexpected happened.......I liked him. My kids fell in love with him and promptly named him Mr. Whiskers. Not only did he not bother me, but I actually picked him up and put him into another box so that we could clean out his cage!!!! Now since most of you don't know me very well, this is huge, my husband thought I had fallen deathly ill! When Darren came home, my children promptly asked if we could keep him. My first response was "NO WAY!!!!!" Darren said that his son had been looking to get rid of him anyway. Oh man........suffice to say, I said yes. So we now have another member of the Kurtz family, Mr. Whiskers.

I heard the kids giggling upstairs yesterday so I crept up to see what they were doing. Mr. Whiskers was out of his cage and running around on Jonah's bed with Sydney. Jonah had made a little wall around the edges so that he couldn't get off (yeah right). I sat there and watched them for a few minutes. They were so happy. Sydney loves him and was so gentle. They all were. After a few more minutes of silent watching, I told Jonah to put him away and to please ask me before he gets his pet out again.

Last night as I was saying prayers with Jonah this is what he said,
J: Dear God, thank you for this day and for my mom and dad. Thanks for Molli, Emma and Sydney. And thank you God for my rat, Mr. Whiskers. He's my friend and my pet. Thanks for my friend. Amen.

I guess the rat stays.

4 comments:

Mindy said...

We had two rats as kids (crazy, I know, two girls and we wanted rats.) Whitey and Blackie. Blackie was the boy who actually turned out to be the girl who got pregnant by Whitey and then ate her little babies. (Who knew rats did that?!?!) We were totally grossed out and let them go in a field across the street. That was the end of Mindy's affinity to rats.

Mandi said...

Gross, ok two rats would be too much....

Anonymous said...

ha ha, Mandi, sometimes you surprise me.

Misty said...

i love rats.... yes the baby this is gross..... but A rat (as in a solitary, single rat) makes a great pet.... i love the way they feel crawling on you. (ok... so now i will wake up with a non-pet rat on me one day AND not feel so happy about it.....)