Thursday, June 02, 2005

"those kind of kids"

So I am writing this post with the desperate hope that there is someone else out there who has had this happen to them as well.....

Before I had children, I would go into a store. Let's use a hypothetical name like Wal-Mart. Ineveitably I would spot a mother with children where the children were dirty, wearing stained clothes and had runny noses. I would think to myself, "My children will NEVER look like that." (Nose in the air, walking away)

Fast forward 6 years.....

Yesterday I had to run to Wal-Mart, again the hypothetical store, to get one lousy thing. Well I was in such a hurry that I neglected to even glance at my children before we left. In their defense, they had been playing outside all day, it was very warm. It's not their fault that their mother is totally spontaneous. Anyway, we get to the store, I get all of them into the store in one piece. As I lean down to pick up Emma to put her in the cart, I hear whispers. One woman says to the other, "Good grief, they must be poor." "She can't even afford to wash them??" I was sdesperately hoping that they were talking about someone else. That's when I finally looked at the girls. Molli had on ripped pants, a too small shirt and shoes that were two sizes too big. SHe must have been sweaty at one point because there were dirt streaks all across her face where she had swiped at it. Emma's hair was....oh my. She also had the tell tale dirt marks all over her face. She also had no shoes. Sydney must have found some Cheetos right befor we left because they were plastered to her face and outfit. At this point I burst into tears feeling like the most unfit mother ever. So right there and then I vowed to never leave the house again. Well, maybe but everyone must shower and change their clothes before we go anywhere.

10 comments:

Misty said...

you just moved.... you are still settling in.... and in the end your children are well taken care of and there are people who will always have oppinions. the fact that this woman felt that it was her right to make an assumption/judgement on your financial status just made her look ignorant, not you. your kids are your kids and they are miraculous beauties whether they smell clean and sweet or are caked in dirt and cheetos.....
kids and dirt are friends. everyone knows it, (whether they admit it or not) don't work too hard to stop the world from seeing that you do let your kids be kids.
(i.e. dirt, mud, mess, junk food and all the fun that comes with it....)

Mandi said...

Thanks for that, it just made me feel awful. I mean, my kids could ahve cared less how they looked. Just goes to show once again how we let other's opinions of us color our lives!

kelli said...

Don't be ridiculous (sp?). I think it's summer, and for the most part, kids that are dirty mean they are playing hard and have a good life. It's one thing when you see a mom screaming at her kids and their filthy, but totally different if their just dirty.

I always think, look at that poor child whose mom is such a tight-a-- that puts their best clothes on them and tucks their shirt in anytime they go anywhere. My kids go to school half the time in their mismatched clothes (cause that's what they picked out) and I've gone weeks before realizing I haven't combed their hair (it's easy to do with boys). don't let it get to you...I say go seek out that person and have your kids go wipe their cheeto hands on her kids clean while collared shirt!!

Misty said...

lol @ kelli....
i agree completely!

kelli said...

I was just at Mindy's blog...did you see that little picture of evy? She has stuff orange soda all over the front of her dress, oh no, should we call social services?

Mandi said...

You guys crack me up, thanks for the pick me up!

Misty said...

ha ha....
being a foster mom (in the past) i was nearly rolling on the floor laughing, trying to imagine one of those button-down, perfect collar, doily moms with squeeky clean expectations, as a foster mom.....

THAT would be good reality tv

Mindy said...

OK. I laughed out loud at the comments on this post! Kelli, it was orange soda AND spegetti sauce, face and clothes, and I walked her into a LIQUOR STORE to get worms dressed just that way.
Someone should really call social services...I didn't brush her hair today either...
Mandi: I am amazed how you can even go ANYWHERE with 4 kids(much less have them dressed and kept from harm!) You are a hero to me for even venturing to the store.
If you ask me, Little-Miss-White- Collar is the truly poor one. If you can't look at kids like that and rejoice at the coming of summer, there is some mental deficiancy in you!

Misty said...

i agree with mindy, mandi.... seriously there are days that i take genny somewhere and think to myself "why am i stupid enough to have done this without my husband to help me with her...." and you went to a store with 4!!!!
kudos for you. share your tips...

Mandi said...

Well, there came a time when I just decided that I didn't want to wait until MAtt was home to go to the store. So I broke my kids in early. THere are times when it is completely overwhelming. Most times, however, they do fine. I have just learn the benefits of power shopping!