Thursday, June 09, 2005

So pleased

Today is Jonah's last day of kindergarten. I watched him walk into the building today, stopping as he does every morning to turn around and blow me a kiss, and thought, "Where has the year gone??" He looks so different, mature somehow. Like someone who has had a taste of the world away from mom and dad. I remember how hard I cried on the first day of school, driving away and leaving him there. I remember how hard he cried for three weeks when I would take him to school. I remember how he finally got over that and started getting excited about going to school. I remember his first school friend, Riley. I remember when he said to me, "Mom, could I walk into the school by myself today because I really am getting bigger." So it has been a year....

I have a little apprehension about next year however. At our last conference with Jonah's teacher she expressed some concern on his speed of learning. He wasn't where he needed to be, she said. So we wrestled with what to do. Do we hold him back in kindergarten when all his friends will be in first grade? Do we send him to first grade with the knowledge that he might fail????? Well after a lot of praying and waiting, I think we will send him to first grade. His last report card showed improvement and we will spend very structured time this summer working on his slower areas. It's amazing to me (a sidenote) at how vigorous kindergarten has become. It used to be like playtime and the kids didn't start learning anything serious till first grade. Now, by the end of kindergarten, they must be able to write all the letters, small words, be able to read sight words, count to 100.......just seems a little stiff for a five year old. Oh well.

6 comments:

Amy M. said...

I know what you mean!! Gabe's 1st grade home school assignments this year blew me away...esp. the math! School just isn't what it used to be! :-) Remember the days of the playground and chocolate milk and the letter people and cubby holes and show and tell???

Misty said...

isn't it amazing, the difference.... the confidence. its beautiful.... and sad. :)

Mandi said...

So sad, plus he's doing all this new stuff, riding a two wheeler, helping Dad, making sure he gets Sydney out of bed for me in the morning......it's just....sad.

And Yes, Amy, I remember all those things..especially the letter people, lol!

Mindy said...

Ok. I don't remember any letter people...I just played a lot of house and painted with tempura paints and had nap time. It seems like if you just want to let your kid be a kid for a while, you're setting them up for a hard Kindergarten experience. What about CHILDHOOD! (ok, getting a little too passionate here! taking a breath.) I didn't even GO to preschool! Now it seems like it's required.
*sigh*
Congratulations on your big first grader. I think I'll be a stalker when Evy starts school!

Mandi said...

I'm tempted to be, but restraining, sigh....

Mandi said...

hi Sandy! I'm glad that you commented.....I've been reading your blog too! And I do think that the expectations are a little high in the younger grades....