Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Yesterday was fairly boring so I decided to spice it up a bit.

The kids had broken a frame a few days ago. Well I started picking up the house and I put all the glass into a garbage bag. I was going to take it right out to the curb as the garbage men were coming up the street, but I ran to do something else first. I came around the corner and slammed my leg into the bag, totally forgetting that it had glass in it. Well there was a rather large piece that had broken through the bag. It was this piece that went right into my leg. I gasped and quick sat down, thinking I had just sliced my leg open. Then it started to bleed. And holy cow did it bleed. Emma was horrified, standing there watching it. "Emma, get mommy the phone....Emma, get the phone!" I quickly called my dad who, thank the Lord, works at the church which is right behind my house. He ran over, called my mom for backup and whisked me to the ER. I did x-rays and the whole nine yards to find out there was a rather large piece of glass embedded in my leg. So they numbed me and the ER doc tried to get it out. No luck. So, to my horror, she casually says, "Ok, well we're going to send you to the surgeons." Ok, back up! SURGERY?!?!?!?!? Suffice to say, I had surgery on my leg last night. I've never had surgery. It was horrifying. They had to do a pain block on my leg which is one of the most painful things I've ever had done. I'd rather give birth! So in they went and found it, it was right next to my bone! SO the doc dug it out stitched me up, gave me crutches and sent me home. I arrived at the ER at 1:30 PM and got home at 10:30 last night. Ugh. I slept, well tried to sleep, in the recliner last night. The pain block wore off at about 5 AM and man, does it hurt! I guess I never thought about it hurting like that. Although they gave me a tetanus shot which hurts almost as much as my foot! Here's what my foot looks like currently....






And here's the piece of glass they dug out of my leg.....ugh. So note to self: DO NOT PUT GLASS IN A PLASTIC BAG!

8 comments:

Mandi said...

Joce- only you would ask me how many stitches, lol. And I have no idea, can't even take the bandage off till Thursday.

Angie - I know, I was shocked when they showed it to me....

eyes_only4him said...

holy crap mandi..that is pretty gross..glad you made it out in one peice..yikes..

Felecia said...

I'm so sorry! (What a mess!) I'm glad you were able to realize there was a leftover in your foot right away; I'm working on a case right now where a woman was bit by a dog and she didn't realize until 2 months later that there was a TOOTH still in her wound!

Take it easy (as much as you can) and please, if things get boring again, just sit back and read a good book:)

Misty said...

oh man, mandi... you do things in a big way :) you wanna be a mom, so you have five kids while some of us (me) fights to keep it together with one... you want to do something to chase away boredom so you slice open your leg and head into surgery... me oh my....

Mandi said...

you know me, it's all about the adventure :)

Mindy said...

yikes! I'm so sorry you poor pregnant mommy. feel better soon!

kelli said...

OH Mandi, you poor thing. Hang in there.

Mrs. Hawk said...

WOW. That stinks! Thank you for not showing us the cut. That would be too gross. I hope that you feel better soon and in the meantime get lots of TLC from the fam...I'm thinking chocolate??