Monday, May 16, 2005

Hmmm

Today was Jonah's big field trip to the zoo. I had promised him at the beginning of the year that I would go on a field trip with him and his class before the end of the year. He's been waiting for this day since the last week of April. Strike 1: It was 40 degrees this morning when we woke up! (picture me, admist packing our lives digging for hats and mittens!) Strike 2: Getting everyone up and out of the house by 7:30 AM! and Strike 3: I get grouped with a violent kindergarterner!!!! I thought I would have a small group of children to be accountable for. Well there were so many parents that I only had Jonah! He, of course, had to be with Riley (his best friend ever). Riley's mom was there as well and we get along so that was fine. Riley's mom (I've discovered that when your child is in kindergarten you have no identity besides Jonah's mom, Riley's mom, etc.) got assigned another student. "No biggie," I thought to myself. Well this young man kept hitting me, not like just playfully but like punching. I ignored him at first, thinking it would make him stop. But he continued. I was starting to bruise so I turned around and said, "young man, if you hit me one more time, I will find Mrs. Long and you will sit in the bus!" He looked at me funny, but he stopped. Now, for those of you who know me well, know that I avoid confrontation at all costs. However, at this point I could not not say anything. Ah well. So the trip was very cold, most of the animals were hiding inside, and I got abused. But Jonah had a blast and I suppose that is all that matters.

3 comments:

Misty said...

ok, two things. first one is a question: whats with the weather and zoo's? we had these wonderfully warm summer-like days until two weeks ago and Genny's first field trip (EVER) to the zoo. it was cold, rainy and gross....
thing two: your tale of madness for the day is EXACTLY why i opted NOT to go on the zoo field trip...
here's to animals who were probably hiding from the violent kindergartener as well, but pretended it was for "the weather"... :)

Mandi said...

LOL, very true. I believe there is a cosmic conspiracy for going to the zoo, it's either 112 degrees or frostbite weather! I've yet to hit a happy medium!

kelli said...

oh the things we do for our children. My famous line when I work in the kindergarten class is "I don't let my children ________ (fill in the blank--hit, spit, talk back to, etc.) me, so you can't either.