Sunday, January 22, 2006

I survived. Everyone showed up, I was very busy. I'm not sure why I promised a picture, LIKE I HAD TIME! My house was immaculate, that I am going to document in case it doesn't happen again for a while!!! Everyone was seated and awaiting dinner. I placed it proudly on the table and started serving everyone. I was so proud until everyone cut into their chicken, which happened to be not quite done. I was so embarrassed. My mom caught my tear filled eyes and mouthed, "It's ok, honey." We all took turns at the microwave :) Everyone praised it....just to make me feel better I think! I did however make a killer dessert that went over really well. It's called Heavenly Lemon Angel cake. It's basically Angel food cake baked in a deep 9x13 pan. Then you juice and zest two lemons and mix it with powdered sugar. You poke holes in the cake and pour that glaze over it. Top it with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. HOLY COW!! It was fabulous, if I do say so myself. All in all, it was a great night. Everyone had a good time being together and I enjoyed being a hostess. We will definitely do it again! If for no other reason than it makes me really clean my house :)

So last night, I was exhausted, my feet ached. So I went to bed at about 9. For some odd reason, all I could think about was The Exorcism of Emily Rose. I have NOT seen this movie, I even closed my eyes at the previews. But Felecia had mentioned it and it was all I could think about. (Not that I am indicating in ANY way that this is Felecia's fault!) So I didn't fall asleep till about 4 AM so tonight I am wasted, as in tired. Lest you misunderstand me :) So off to put the children and myself to bed :)

4 comments:

Misty said...

glad it went well. the cake sounds amazing and i will be making it upon my husbands return to the homeland... the chicken sounds good too... do you think it needed to cook longer? i want to make it but don't want it to be raw. any suggestions?
i am so jealous, at this moment, that you have family so close...

eyes_only4him said...

well I think we have all had that happen..i once served my meatloaf half raw..it happnes..

sounds like a wonderful day anyway, besides the thoughts of a movie you havent seen..haha

way to go!!

Mandi said...

Misty- Yes, I generally let it cook about an extra 10-15 minutes, but I was in such a hurry to serve dinner that I didn't wait! And I am so very blessed to be surrounded by family....but I know how you feel. I felt the same way when we lived in Nebraska.

Christina - I am so glad that I am not the only person this has ever happened to!!

Jocelyn - I knew there was no way I would see it......not that I doubt that that stuff happens....just too much for me to see. Had no desire to see History of Violence but thanks for the heads up on it and for the lovely commentary :)

Felecia said...

You can go ahead and say it - I kept you up! ha ha ha... only kidding. I tell you what; if you have any questions about the movie, I will answer them but don't give into watching the movie based on curiousity alone. It wouldn't be worth it. The first part of the movie is basically to instill fear and the end is only partially redeeming. Those who believe in God's greater love will be disappointed, I think. I dunno - that's what I've learned after letting it sink in a little.

Glad the dinner went well! I have TOTALLY been there on the underdone chicken. Poultry is hard. I've actually been using Andy's father's day gift a lot - it's one of those electronic temp readers for the grill - but I use it all the time indoor cooking. It has a special button for chicken.

Also (sorry, taking a lot of space up here...) I made that dish the other night! My own little family was very nice to me as well because I messed it up. I didn't prepare the stuffing ahead of time - just threw it on top and figured the moisture from the soup/milk would do. (it was *Very Crunchy*!) Ah well, better luck next time to both of us, eh?