Wednesday, October 13, 2010

AAAHHHHH!!! So frustrated with myself! I do well and post a few days in a row and then completely forget to post for two days!!! That's it, I'm setting a reminder on my phone to remind me.

I had to borrow a prompt from NaBloPoMo for this morning....what was the first play you ever saw live?

Ahhh, the memories, well first you should know that my parents were both theater majors in college so I grew up with HUGE influences toward theater, musical theater specifically. By the time I was five, there weren't many musicals that I had not seen. Most of my earliest memories revolve around theater and musicals. When I was five, we lived in Pittsburgh PA. My dad was working as a lighting designer for the Pittsburgh Ballet Company. He was allowed to take my brother and I backstage to watch the company perform the Nutcracker Ballet. I remember it being so big, larger than life. The show was breath taking to watch, the costumes were magnificent and the music - unforgettable. What really made my night was when my dad took us to the dressing rooms afterward to meet the dancers. (at this point, I was dead set on becoming a ballerina!) I met the girl who danced Clara who was just a little older than me. And then, I met the Sugar Plum Fairy. She was breath taking, tall, thin and sparkling in her costume. I was speechless. Then I looked down. She had removed her ballet slippers already and her feet were horrific; black and blue, bleeding and swollen. She noticed me staring at her feet and said "The price you pay for being able to dance." AS we walked to the car, I told my dad that I had changed my mind about being a ballerina. Princesses have perfect feet. :)

No comments: