Monday, April 25, 2005

Grandpa

My grandpa is in the hospital........

Today started like any other Monday, getting Noah on the bus, dragging Jonah out of bed for school, getting him ready while he angrily tells me that he doesn't go to school anymore, thinking ahead to Emma and Sydney's doctor's appointment this morning( will Emma have to get shots?!?!?!), taking Jonah to school, breathing a sigh of relief as he runs into the building having spotted a friend, driving home and taking the girls inside.

Then the phone rang.....

Grandma and Grandpa and Aunt Carol were supposed to leave this morning for a trip to Atlanta so I was surprised that the caller ID said it was Grandma. It was Aunt Carol. "Mandi, Grandpa has taken 5 nitro glycerin pills and is still have chest pains. We're going to the ER."

Grandpa should have died about 6 times by now. God has kept him around, I'm so glad of that. But here we are again, faced with the fact that Grandpa's heart will just not last forever. It's been operating at 15% for the last 12 years. Sooner or later, it will just stop altogether. It's so selfish to think that he will always be here. We have been so blessed to have had him so close for so long. When we left to go to Nebraska to get our things and move here, Grandpa said to me, "Hurry back. I need my babies here." He means so much to them that the thought of trying to explain to them why Papa isn't here anymore just about kills me. This would be the closest death that they will be old enough to remember. How will we deal with that? How will they?

He's ok, they are keeping him overnight just for observation. Another close call. A little more time with the man we all love so dearly.......

1 comment:

Misty said...

i have had your family on my heart today.... it brought tears to my eyes for a million different reasons... bless you, bless your grandpa... God's faithfulness is how your babies will survive, when the time comes.