Friday, April 08, 2005

Dinner

Tonight we are grilling out burgers and hotdogs and eating on the patio. Man, this is great! I've waited so long to do this again.

Tomorrow Mom and Dad come home from North Carolina.....this brings mixed feelings. It'll be great to have them home, we've missed them. On the other hand, it has been very nice having the house to ourselves. Ah well, hopefully in about 4 weeks, we'll be on our own again!

On a totally unrelated subject, I'm in a quandry as a parent. Today, Jonah broke a window. Yesterday I caught him throwing a golf ball at the house and bouncing it off. I asked him to stop because he would break a window. He obeyed, but today, as I'm dutifully folding laundry even though I'm dying to be outside planting flowers or doing anything outside because I hate laundry and folding socks which, with four young children takes hours......*deep breath* What was I tlaking about again?? Oh yes, Jonah. So as I was folding laundry I heard shattering glass. I bolted to the front and met Matt and we saw the window. I knew immediately that it had been Jonah with the golf ball (plus the perfect golf ball sized hole in the window gave it away too). So now, Matt and I don't know what to do about Jonah. We sent him to his room (this was at 12:30 PM and now it's 5:30 PM) He was told that he could come down for dinner but that he had to go back to his room right after dinner. Also he is not allowed to sleep in the attic with the girls and no television. Curse me, I am so bad at consistency. I feel that if I were more consistent with discipline things like this wouldn't happen. It's just so much easier to threaten sometimes than to actually punish. He's too big for a spanking, but that also seems like too quick a punishment for something serious. Will this punsihment work? Will he understand the severity of what he has done? And how do I explain to him that disobeying makes Jesus sad when I know that he has not asked Jesus to be his Savior??????

2 comments:

Mindy said...

some random ideas...
disobeying makes mommy and daddy sad, too.
Does he earn an allowance or any kind of money you could have him give to help pay? or maybe chores he has to do to "work it off"?
Someone's got to tell your parents, right? maybe that could be part of his responsibility for his actions?

Good luck. it's a tough thing to be a parent.

Mandi said...

He did have to tell Grandma and Grandpa....I think that was the hardest part of the whole thing for him! And he survived all weekend being grounded.....*sigh*