Thursday, May 21, 2009

Time for an update post, although I keep looking at the pics of Jonah below and LOVING them!! Now if I could just get him to shower more than once every two weeks.....

I am going to vent about a pet peeve of mine. :) Because it's my blog and I can. So there.

A few weeks ago, I read the book Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. He also authored The Davinci Code. I loved Angels and Demons. Thought provoking, easy reading and an enjoyable tale. I also knew the movie was coming out and wanted to read it before I saw the film. My mother did the same, so as part of her Mother's Day gift, I gave her tickets to the movie opening night. And we went. And it STANK! Only about 20% of the book made it into the movie! They changed to story line, changed people's names....UGH!!!! Why do they do this??? I have similar experiences with other books turned movies....the Love Comes Softly series...they were my FAVORITE books when I was growing up and the movies are HORRIBLE!!! I just cannot imagine how an author can allow screen writers to change their work so drastically. But then I guess maybe my hopes are just too high.

There is an exception to this, however. Well two exceptions. The first is the Bridge to Terabithia. My mom read this to us when we were little and I loved the story. I boycotted the movie for fear that it too would end up the same, ruined for me in film version. But the movie was lovely, and very close to the book and I enjoyed it immensely. The other is Twilight. I refused to see the movie for the longest time because I knew (from various sources, thank you Misty!) that there were differences from the book. And also because I just had this perfect picture in my head of Edward, Bella and the Cullens and I was sure the actors would ruin those pictures. But here's what happened, I LOVED the movie! Not because of the book, though. I love them separately, if that makes sense. I treated the movie as if I'd never read the book, and in that light, I loved it. I realized I could not hold the standard of the book to the movie. So maybe this is the philosophy I need to hold whenever I see movies that were based on books. But I am still cheesed about Angels and Demons....grrrrr.

No comments: