Thursday, May 28, 2009

I will attempt to keep myself in check while posting this, although there are no promises that that will actually happen. But I will try.

My little boy got his heart broken. Not Thomas, thankfully he is still blissfully unaware of the opposite sex. I mean my BIG little boy. And all of the drama has left me a little LOT angry. Here's what happened....

Last year was our kid's first year in a new school district. Jonah was entering the third grade and was mad as a hornet that we had moved and hence, he had to switch schools. He's rather shy, my Jonah. Anyway, from the first day f school till the last, he had a crush. She was the prettiest girl in the third grade and ALL the boys liked her. I knew Jonah was smitten just by the way he said her name. I braced myself for this and all was well. Well, at the beginning of this his fourth grade year, I was informed that this girl had chosen my son as her "boyfriend". After I woke up from my fainting spell, I sat down with my son to inquire just what this meant. He was very forthcoming with the facts, which were that being her boyfriend meant nothing. They simply play at recess, with 4 other kids. I was very content with this arrangement. At Christmas, he asked if he could use some of his money and get her a gift and I complied. It was all very cute and innocent. Now fast forward to last night..........

There are a lot of kids in Jonah's school that have their own cell phones. Now, my position on this is that I think it is RIDICULOUS for 1o year old children to have cell phones, STUPID even. If you are reading this, and your young child has their own cell phone, that is YOUR decision. But my children will NOT have cell phones until they are in high school. PERIOD. So my cell phone rang and a sweet, young girl's voice asked if Jonah was home. After I woke up again from yet another fainting spell, I passed the phone to Jonah. The conversation went like this: "Um no." "Well, she is lying." "No." "Ok, bye." He handed me back my cell and walked away. I followed him and asked what was up. He replied, "That was her. She wanted to know if I cheated on her with another girl." He shrugged and walked away. WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!??! Did we step into a black hole and somehow land in a parallel universe??? These are 10 YEAR OLDS!!!!! I was shocked, to say the very least. But it gets worse.

Jonah is in bed by 8 on school nights. At 8:05 my cell phone rings again and another girl's voice asks for Jonah. I snuck into his bedroom to see if he was still awake, of course he was :) I handed him the phone and stood and watched him have a conversation that lasted 5 minutes. After it was over, he was very quiet. I asked what was going on. He told me that the call was actually a three way call between his "girlfriend" and two other of her friends. And that she was calling to inform him that she was dumping him for someone else. I could tell that Jonah was not ok with this. I held his hand for a minute, kissed him goodnight, and left his room.

After sitting down for a few minutes, I got very angry. First of all, three way calling???!!! I didn't even do that until late high school!! And I sure as heck didn't do it on a cell phone. And what is with all this boy/girl DRAMA???? How ridiculous is it that this is happening in the fourth grade??? Poor Jonah, is just heartbroken. Does anyone else but me think this is just STUPID?????

2 comments:

kelli said...

Unfortunately, the best say is get used to it. I have determined after also having a "drama filled" school year that kids are getting older faster. And that they are starting to emulate what they perceive as grown up drama. It seems exciting and it makes them feel older to have boy/girlfriends and to talk about things that seem adultish like cheating and leaving for someone else.

To us it seems juvenile and premature and it is, but I think it's totally normal and not anything to get too worked up about. It's going to be the first of many heartbreaks. But Jonah will make it through. I think the key thing is to talk with him, let him say what he wants, be a good listener and then butt out because one day he'll hate the girl and the next they'll be "in love" again and it won't make sense to anyone but them. I remember being in that phase and my mom even saying that she just "didn't get it".

You are doing the right thing by talking to him and teaching him limits (like no cell phone). I'm on the same page as you when it comes to that. Noah is in the minority in his class too but when he asks for a phone, I ask him why he needs it since dad or I are always home and he doesn't go anywhere without an adult right now. He can't give me a good answer so I tell him when he can give me a logical reason why he needs one...then we'll talk about it.

Hang in there...I think we're all in for bumpy ride for the next several years!

Unknown said...

STUPID!! If I could write that in larger caps I would. I wonder if that girls mom knows what she is doing? Oh and my almost 14 year old doesn't have a phone either.