Monday, March 02, 2009

With the cruise a mere 11 days away, it's a good bet that I will not be speaking of anything else. Well, with the exception of Sydney's birthday which is Wednesday. 11 days away feels like an eternity, but I know that it will be here before I know it. Preparations are in full swing. We dialog with the kids every day about what is expected of them when we are gone and what it will be like. Sydney is so excited to have Aunt Berber (her real name is Amber, but the kids nicknamed her Berber because Aunt Amber was quite a mouthful) here that she keeps asking me, "Mom how much longer till you leave??" I can feel the love.

So this whole process has brought up some interesting things. Matt and I have never been away from the kids for more than a few nights and we have never flown or left the country since they've been born. As we were sitting around my mom's dining room table on Saturday night, she casually asked about our will. I blinked and said, "A will? What will?" It never occurred to me that something could happen on this glorious vacation that I have been waiting ten years to take trip that would make a will necessary. That really caused some major discussion between Matt and I. Who would we want to inherit our children? A quick call to a lawyer friend made us aware that if no written instructions are left, the state removes the children. I burst into tears at the thought of my children trying to process losing both parents and then being split up and put with strangers. Now, I know that God is in control and that, if He decides it's time for Matt and I to come home, than He will take care of my children. I also know that my huge family would sweep in and love and care for our children. But we really had to pray and decide who to ask to be guardians. My parents aren't getting younger and they do have a 12 year old child with CP to contend with already so it seemed unfair to ask them to take guardianship of our kids. After much discussion and prayer, we asked my brother and his wife (the ones staying with the kids) if they would consider taking on that responsibility. They accepted. I have peace now that, in the event of a tragedy, our children will be safe.

Ok, back to the lighthearted side of things....

I LEAVE IN 11 DAYS!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

We just avoid the subject because we can't seem to agree on who would take the kids. We just keep praying nothing happens to us :) Totally wrong approach I know!!
Good for you guys to be so adult about the situation!

Becky Rozema said...

We haven't made a will yet either, but at least have figured out who would take guardianship. It's so weird to have to think about things like this at happy times. I guess I should look into getting things into writing, maybe I'll get a program to write my own will on the computer and just get something put in the safe.

Misty said...

i can't wait to see your photos and to hear about how amazing your cruise is, you lucky girl! I bet the michigan winter is really making you ache to escape to somewhere sandy and warm.