Thursday, January 31, 2008

Just a post to show that I can never have just a normal week...

My parents are at a training seminar this week so my little brother Noah is staying with us. For those of you who don't know, he has cerebral palsy and is in a wheelchair. So his bus for school picks him up at my house while he is here. This morning was pretty normal, got Noah all ready and took him down the driveway to wait for the bus. The bus comes and his bus driver gets off to open the door that the lift uses. It's frozen shut. So she tells me to pull from the outside while she pushes from the inside. It's the bottom of the door that is still frozen and that part is covered by the lift. So she sticks her hand down there. Well when the door opens, the lift automatically releases. So the door budges just enough for the lift to start to move pinning her hand between the lift and the door!!! Now she's screaming hysterically so I run onto the bus. She's yelling for me to turn off the lift motioning to all of the buttons on he control panel. Have you ever seen a bus control panel??? THERE ARE ABOUT 50 BUTTONS!!!!!!!!! Now I'm starting to panic. I finally find the button and shut it off but it doesn't release so she is stilled pinned. I am now completely panicking.....Noah is still outside in the -3 windchill, she's screaming, there's other children on the bus. WHAT DO I DO???

So I grabbed the mic and yelled, "BUS GARAGE! WE NEED HELP!" They immediately respond with who is this?? What's going on? So I tell them the driver is pinned and hurt and I need help NOW! I drop the mic and go and start pulling on the lift and she can finally pull her hand free. Her hand is in bad shape. Dispatch is calling for me to answer them. SO before I know it, there are four buses and a truck from the garage and an ambulance in front of my house. Holy cow.....meanwhile my other children are in the house with no knowledge that anything was happening!

What a crazy life I lead!!

4 comments:

Misty said...

Oh Mandi... None of this is funny. At all. I didn't laugh until you mentioned your kids inside, oblivious...
Bless your heart, that's a lot of stress right there!

kelli said...

Oh my goodness Mandi. That is super stressful!

kelli said...

By the way, is she okay? Have you heard?

Mrs. Hawk said...

Wow! What an eventful morning. I don't think that I would have thought to call the bus garage...good thinking! Hope she's OK!