Friday, March 24, 2006

My spirit is tired, and sad. Here's what's going on.

Last weekend, my grandpa was sick. He couldn't keep anything in his stomach. So they did some tests and discovered that he had a bowel blockage, which turned out to be scar tissue from one of his 15 surgeries. They decided that yet another surgery was needed. Surgery for my grandpa is never a great idea, all the issues with his heart, etc. So they did the surgery, the doctor saying it would take 1-3 hours. 3 hours in, the doc calls and wants to talk to us. She comes out and says that the surgery was going great but she just happened to put her hand slightly lower and felt something. It turned out there was a tumor (she thought most likely malignant) in his colon. So her question was, do I remove it and all the pieces of the colon that I need to with the knowledge that he might have to have a colostomy bag??? Huge decision for my grandma who knows that his wishes are to NEVER have one of those. She says go ahead. The doctor (praise the Lord) is able to reattach the colon to the small intestine so no bag. However Grandpa has now been un der anesthetic for 6 1/2 hours.....not good. He came out of surgery great, everything looked good. Then his blood pressure crashed. Now they think he made have had a stroke, they can't keep him awake, he barely recognizes us.......

This is devastating for me. I mean, we've had him for a lot longer than we'd ever expected. But seeing a man whom I consider one of the strongest people I know, reduced to how he looks now...It's awful. Death is a natural part of life.....I'm just not ready to let go. I want so much for him to survive to see this baby, his namesake, his "Chip". Plus there's a million other things going on, so we're filling in with Noah so Mom and Dad can spend as much time as they need to at the hospital. Just feels so hopeless and sad......

So if you think of it, could you pray for my grandpa? That if this is his time, that the Lord will be working in our hearts and if it's not his time, that he would heal him?

2 comments:

Misty said...

am praying for your family sweetie.... hang in there...

True_Floridian Momma said...

oh mandi, I know how you feel. It's devastating to see our grandparents begin to get old and sick. I'm so sorry, praying for you and your family