Saturday, July 19, 2008

Once again, I am amazed by my brilliance. I'm sure you all remember when I smacked my legs into some glass and it got stuck there and had to be removed surgically. That was a brill ant moment. Today, my genius struck again. This time, I made sure that I set a fine example for my children.

Last night I had purchased some spoons, as they regularly disappear in this house. This morning, as the children were pouring cereal, I tried to open the package of spoons. There was a small piece of tape that was keeping them together. Looking around for the scissors, I spotted instead a large kitchen knife. (Now don't ruin the ending here....) I proceeded to open the spoons and, as the knife was facing me, proceeded to stab myself in the hand with the knife. The kids were waiting for said spoons so they were all watching. There was an audible gasp as I looked down at the knife sticking out of my hand. Then the panic began...not my panic of course, but rather my children's. Jonah ran for a towel, Molli ushered Sydney out of the room, and Emma sat there with big tears welling up in her eyes. I proceeded to pull the knife out of my hand and asses the damage. It went in about 1/2 an inch. But there was no cut and so no need for stitches or the ER. Thank goodness. However the knife was serrated so it hurt like crazy! My whole hand was throbbing. Jonah and Molli were watching me, waiting to see what I'd do. I calmly looked at them and said, "Children, this is why we do NOT play with knives." See, I will do whatever it takes to teach my children the proper way to handle things :)

P.S. I really am ok...it is sore and I have been informed by the medical profession that I must try not to use it (YEAH RIGHT) and that it will likely hurt for sometime. Gee thanks...here's your $50.

3 comments:

Becky Rozema said...

I am laughing... as this is such a mom way to respond! Josh is laying here with me, supposed to be sleeping, and wondering why in the world I'm giggling! Thanks for the giggles and your calm brillance!

kelli said...

I cringed! I nearly slit my wrist trying to do a similar thing. I still have the scar to prove it. Not smart!

Happy healing.

By the way, I've tried twice to send you an invite to my blog via the new email that you gave me, but it keeps bouncing. Will you just go to my blog and ask permission to sign up and I'll get an email to approve it? Thanks.

Mrs. Hawk said...

Should I be laughing? Way to go, Super Mom!