Tuesday, July 29, 2008


Not sure how to start this post....

Most of you know that my little brother Noah has Cerebral Palsy. There has been much concern lately about his muscles because he is growing so fast. He's in much pain most of the time. So tomorrow morning he will go into surgery at Spectrum Health and will have a fairly complicated surgery to insert a Bacolofen pump. This pump will be put into his body cavity with a catheter winding around to his back and will enter his spinal column. This will mean that he will be able to get a continuous flow of medication to ease his discomfort. It also means that he will lose all of the tone that he has. He uses his tone to do everything now, crawl, play Wii.

I know in my head that this is absolutely the best thing for him. But I am afraid that he won't be the same Noah. He is such a special part of our lives. I want the very best thing for him. I don't want him to be in pain. The doctors can't give us any indication of what will happen after the surgery. Most likely he'll be limp, somewhat like a noodle, but we just don't know. My parents have gone back and forth about this decision for some time. I can't imagine having to make this kind of decision for one of my children.

So please be in prayer tomorrow. We will be in Grand Rapids for the day to be with them. I'll update as soon as I can.

2 comments:

Misty said...

Oh Mandi... We will be praying for Noah. He IS such a sweet boy... your poor parents. And you, my dear... Keep me posted.

Mrs. Hawk said...

Oh girl, I'll be praying for strength for you and the entire family. Keep us updated!