Monday, June 23, 2008


This post is lovingly dedicated to my Sydney. I am quickly discovering that this is going to be the "summer of Syd". While I don't think she'll be murdering anyone, it is going to be interesting.

We started with the pool incident which resulted in 5 stitches. She is the first of my children to receive stitches. (Some of you are going, how on EARTH is that possible??) The stitches were removed and we moved on. Then, two days ago, while riding our bikes to my mom's to swim, she hit something with her bike tire and went flying, very supermanish, over her handlebars. I saw all of this in slow motion of course. I rapidly hurried to get my bike with Thomas in the trailer on it off the road and ran back to get her out of the street. I looked over her body rapidly looking for the telltale scrapes I was sure she had. Seeing none, I scooped up her helmet from the street and walked her to the side. I breathed a sigh of relief that she wasn't seriously hurt. Until I saw her head. She had slammed the front of her head into the pavement. There was a rather large welt accompanied by road burn. It looked awful! I rapidly tried to decide what to do. I asked her if she thought she could make it to Grandma's or if we should go home. She sniffed and told me we were going to Grandma's. So my trooper girl got back on her little bike and away we went. As we turned the corner to get to my mom's, over she went AGAIN! This time she ripped most of the skin off her right knee. I carried her into my mother's house looking like she'd been in a losing battle. She maintained composure though and got her suit on to swim. We were in the pool for 30 minutes when she was running around the corner and slipped and scraped more skin off of her left thigh and ankle. At this point, I was convinced that she was not going to survive the day, let alone the summer. We have been incident free until last night when she received an accidental elbow to the nose which we had to pinch for 15 minutes to get it to stop bleeding.

I'm so very proud of my tough girl. Now if I could just get her to sleep in her bed all night long.....

2 comments:

Misty said...

oh my goodness. bless her heart! What in the world has happened to put such a gloomy cloud over her?

Mrs. Hawk said...

I have no idea what to say, but maybe you should start carrying around a First Aid kit at all times!