Saturday, September 01, 2007

So talk about feeling guilty...
Last night we decided to put up the camper, invite some friends over, have a bonfire and then all the kids and I would sleep in the camper for one last hurrah before school. Everything was going great. Our friends brought over their two motorbikes and the kids were taking turns getting rides all over our huge yard. Then the trio (Molli, and her friends Tristan and Cody) decided to take a break and play on the swingset. I saw them standing on the swings and I thought to say something but didn't. Seconds later, Cody is on the ground crying. His mom went over and then asked me to come take a look. His arm was very obviously broken!!!!!!!!!! So she rushed him to the ER where they told her his wrist was broken in two places and he would have to put under for them to set it. I feel so incredibly guilty about this. I should have told them to sit down...if I hadn't had the idea of the sleepover/campfire, he never would have been there.....

So my question is this...has this ever happened to someone else????

2 comments:

kelli said...

Mandi, I'm so sorry that this happened. But you cannot feel guilty about this. Standing on swings is a childhood right of passage...everyone does it and unfortunately, some (he's not the first) get their arms broken.

Noah broke his arm on a swing when he was in kindergarten. It happens.

You can't stop living life (or inviting friends over) because something might happen. I personally would rather see kids be kids and be able to do goofy things with a chance they might get hurt then live in a bubble and have them be totally safe, but completely bored!! This is not your fault! It's natural to feel like it is, but fight it!

Mandi said...

Thanks Kelli... I really am over it. And I do realize it could have happened anywhere. I'm so glad that my kids can just run and play and most days, I don't worry about them getting hurt! I just love to see them enjoying themselves!