Saturday, March 06, 2010

I was just re-reading my post from earlier this week. Oddly enough, I could have posted the EXACT same post for yesterday! Only yesterday I realized that it was time to do something drastic in my newly 6 year old daughter's life so that she would come to realize that her attitude and behavior HAD to change. So, as I pushed her out the door for school, crying and screaming, and as I watched the bus pull away from the driveway and my own hot tears started to spill, I knew what I had to do. I called Matt to get support in my decision which he readily gave. And then I waited. I waited for her to get home so I could inform her about her very near future.


See, as she was planning her 6th birthday weekend, she very much wanted a friend party. The thought of cleaning and cooking and enduring 6-7 six year old girls seemed completely overwhelming to me. So I suggested an alternative. I offered her the chance to have 1 friend come and spend the night and then the following day, we would all go to Chuck E Cheese. I despise that place, but it seems to make my children SO happy! She jumped at the chance and the friend was chosen, invited and had accepted. As I sat crying Friday morning, I knew that she must lose said sleepover and subsequent Chuck E Cheese adventure. I also knew that she would NOT handle the loss well, but there didn't seem to be a choice. She really needed something radical to show her that her actions and choices about behavior have consequences. I called the friend's mom and she was most understanding. Then I waited. I heard the bus pull up, thankfully Matt was already home and ready to back me up. She came in and was all excited about when we were leaving to pick up her friend. I took a deep breath, sat her down, and told her. The cries and yells began in earnest and kept up for quite some time. I had expected this so I wasn't too undone. She fell asleep early, exhausted from the crying and when she woke up this morning, she was fine. I reminded her this morning that we wouldn't be going to Chuck E Cheese and she hung her head and told me she knew and she knew why. So maybe, just maybe, we're turning a corner.

Plus the sun is shining and it's 45 degrees out....who can be sad or down on a day like that?!?!?!?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I bet that was hard. Hugs to you for being the tough mom. It sounds like maybe you have found what works for her.

My 5 year I have discovered, acts up when she needs sleep. Unfortunatly getting that girl to take a nap is like WW 3.

Misty said...

well... it's tuesday and I'm just now getting to this. So, how did the rest of the weekend go?

It's so tough...

Ristinw said...

you are a great mother! ;-)your children must be so proud to have a wonderful and tender mom like you.