Wednesday, July 05, 2006

** CAUTION **** If you have a weak stomach, DO NOT READ this! Although, I have a weak stomach and I am writing it.

So last week, I got the nesting bug. I was scrubbing everything. I cleaned the kitchen from top to bottom, using Soft Scrub on almost every surface. (Love that stuff!)So we went to my mom's for a few days and came home to an odd smell in the kitchen. We blamed it on the kitty litter which was promptly changed. However, the smell lingered. I found a bowl that had some bad chicken juices in it, which we thought was it as well. Still, there was the smell. So tonight, my Aunt Carol had just returned home from a trip and we invited her over to dinner. As I started the water for potatoes, I noticed the smell was particularly bad by the stove. I shrugged it off and walked away. When I came back to check the water, I noticed something on the stove that had not been there a few minutes prior. To my absolute horror, I realized they were MAGGOTS! I started to vomit and ran from the room. Matt came dashing in and then the hunt began. Where on earth had they come from???? I remained out of the room (which now smelled so disgusting.....) while Matt searched. I insisted that I had just scrubbed the entire kitchen. However, I had forgotten that the day after I had scrubbed the kitchen down I had set some chicken out on the stove to thaw. Well some of the juice had dripped down into the big pan underneath the burners. When Matt lifted that he screamed and declared, "Um yeah....found out where they came from!!" I remained far away as he scrubbed and cleaned it all up. The children of course had to watch everything, even though they were completely disgusted. My stomach is still churning and the thought of going back into the kitchen makes my skin crawl. They are so vile. So I just wanted you all to know that I am a horrible housewife. Who has maggots living in their stove?!!?!?!?!?!?!
The kitchen smells infinitely better now and I will NEVER thaw chicken that way again!!!!

4 comments:

kelli said...

THAT is the grossest story I have heard in a really long time. If I have maggots in my garbage I can't handle it, I can't imagine them actually in my house, much less my stove. I'm glad your house is maggot free, aren't you glad you have a loving husband to handle that for you?

Mandi said...

More than you'll ever know. If I had found that by myself, I would have needed an ambulance. They are so digusting!!! What was God thinking there?!??!?!?

eyes_only4him said...

Oh Mandi,
when we lived in our house in Michigan I could smell something rancid..I normally have such a tidy and nice smelling abode, so the smell was odd..i could not find it anywhere..then I went to make some mashed pototes, and my NEW tators were full of maggots..oh it was very sick..i had to buy box potoes for months...

I feel your pain..

Mrs. Hawk said...

Hey, at least you found them! We gutted our kitchen when we moved in and under the stove there were dead maggots. Gross.